Are you a big fan of movies, web series, or games? Well, you may be aware of uTorrent, which is the most used BitTorrent client that lets you download movies, games, or web series effortlessly. Most of the time, uTorrent works smoothly without any issues. However, some users may face ‘uTorrent stuck on connecting to peers’ error or other downloading issues while trying to download a file.
Not connecting to peers error means you cannot download a file from uTorrent due to unknown reasons. Before we proceed with the solutions, make sure you have a stable internet connection. Moreover, you can also check if you are getting the right Internet speed by performing a speed test. After you ensure a stable internet connection, you can follow our guide to fix uTorrent not downloading issue.
7 Ways to Fix uTorrent Not Connecting to Peers
We are listing down some methods that you can use to fix the error on uTorrent. Sometimes, you can also face an error on uTorrent when you don’t configure it properly. Therefore, check out these methods to fix the error on uTorrent.
Reasons behind uTorrent stuck on connecting to peers
There could be different reasons when you face the connecting to peers error while downloading a file on uTorrent. A few of the reasons behind this error are as follows:
- You may have an unstable internet connection.
- Your antivirus software may be blocking the download.
- You may be downloading a dead file, or the file may no longer be available for download.
- You may need to use VPN software to download specific uTorrent files.
Method 1: Check your Internet connection
The first thing that you should look for is whether you are getting a stable internet connection. If the connection is unstable, you will likely get a ‘Connecting to peers’ error while downloading a file. You can restart your router and perform a speed test on your system.
Method 2: Allow uTorrent through Firewall
Your Windows firewall or your antivirus program may be blocking or causing interference while downloading the uTorrent file. If you have any third-party antivirus software on your system, then it might modify the settings on your PC or laptop. In this case, you have to manually allow uTorrent to bypass these restrictions through your Windows Firewall.
1. Click on your start menu and type Windows firewall in the search bar.
2. Select and open Firewall and network protection from the search results.
3. Now, click on the Allow an app through the firewall link.
4. A new window will open; click on Change settings.
5. Scroll down and find uTorrent from the list. However, if you are unable to find uTorrent on the list, click on allow another app.
6. Finally, click on the checkbox for both public and private keys. Click on OK at the bottom to save the new settings.
7. That’s it; check whether you can download the file on uTorrent or not.
Also Read: 15 Best uTorrent Alternatives Available
Method 3: Configure uTorrent Settings Correctly
You may also face a ‘connecting to peers’ error if you don’t configure the settings correctly. Therefore, to fix uTorrent not downloading, you can modify the settings by following these steps.
1. Launch uTorrent on your PC or laptop.
2. Click on the Options tab from the top-left corner of the screen and select Preferences from the drop-down menu.
3. Click on BitTorrent from the panel on the left of the window.
4. Under protocol encryption, click on the drop-down menu next to Outgoing.
5. Now, change the setting from disabled to forced by selecting the Forced option from the menu.
6. Finally, click on OK to save the changes.
Now, check whether your uTorrent files continue to download without the connecting to peers error. However, if you are still unable to fix uTorrent stuck on connecting to peers, you can try out the next methods.
Method 4: Enable Port Forwarding Option on uTorrent
If none of the above methods work for you, you can enable the port forwarding option on your PC or laptop. Since uTorrent needs open network ports for allowing incoming and outgoing traffic, enabling port forwarding will help the BitTorrent ports to push the traffic to your PC. Similarly, it will push the traffic from your PC to the BitTorrent ports. This allows uTorrent to get a stable connection. Therefore, enabling port forwarding may help you to fix uTorrent not connecting to peers:
1. Launch uTorrent and click on the Options tab from the top-left corner of the screen.
2. Click on Preferences.
3. Select Connection from the panel of the left.
4. Now, click on the checkbox next to the following options. You can check the screenshot for reference:
- Enable UPnP port mapping.
- Enable NAT-PMP port mapping.
5. Add Windows Firewall exception.
6. Finally, click on OK to save the changes.
Check whether your files start to download without the ‘connecting to peers’ error displaying on your screen.
Method 5: Use a VPN Software
You can use VPN software to bypass the restrictions as your ISP may be restricting certain uTorrent traffic. Another reason why you may be facing a ‘connecting to peers’ error while downloading files is due to using the wrong VPN provider. There are chances that the VPN software you are using is blocking the BitTorrent connections. Therefore, you must opt for a reliable and compatible VPN that can help your bypass the restrictions.
Moreover, another benefit of using VPN software is you can download torrent files anonymously without exposing your IP address. We recommend you use the following VPN software.
Nord VPN : It is one of the best VPN software in the market. It allows you to securely browse the internet while keeping your IP address private. You can easily share and download uTorrent files without any restrictions. You get unlimited security with amazing encryption. You can opt for a 7-day free trial before choosing a premium plan.
Also Read: How to set up a VPN on Windows 10
Method 6: Perform Configuration Tests on uTorrent
If you cannot fix uTorrent stuck on connecting to peers, then it is probably because of the wrong setting configuration on uTorrent. Therefore, to fix the connecting to peers error, you can perform a quick configuration test to enable uTorrent to adjust its settings automatically.
1. Launch uTorrent and click on the Options tab from the top-left of the screen.
2. Go to the Setup Guide.
3. A new window will pop up; click on the checkbox next to Bandwidth and Network.
4. Now, click on Run tests from the bottom middle of the window screen.
5. You will see the results and identify the problem under Bandwidth and network section.
6. Finally, you can click on save and close from the bottom right of the screen to save the new changes.
That’s it; uTorrent will automatically configure its settings and fix uTorrent not downloading or other errors.
Method 7: Find Another Torrent Sites
If none of the above methods work, and you are still unable to fix uTorrent not downloading, it is probably because of a dead uTorrent file (no seeds) you are trying to download.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Q1. How do I skip connecting to peers?
To skip or stop uTorrent from connecting to peers, you have to ensure that you have a stable internet connection. One common reason behind the ‘not connecting to peers’ error while downloading uTorrent files is probably because your antivirus software or windows firewall may be blocking you from downloading torrent files. You have to manually allow uTorrent to bypass these restrictions through your Windows Firewall. You can follow our complete guide to fix uTorrent not connecting to peers.
Q2. How do I fix uTorrent not responding?
To fix uTorrent not responding, make sure you are not downloading a dead file. However, if uTorrent is not responding at all, you can perform the following fixes.
- Restart uTorrent via task manager on your system.
- Allow uTorrent via windows firewall.
- Reinstall the application.
- Delete the downloading files as these files may be causing uTorrent to be unresponsive.
Q3. Why is my uTorrent stuck on connecting to peers?
If your uTorrent file gets stuck on connecting to peers, it is probably because you are downloading a dead file. You can look for another file to download to resolve the issue.
- Fix Cannot Create HomeGroup On Windows 10
- How to bring off-screen window back to your desktop
- Show Profile Picture in Zoom Meeting Instead of Video
- 20 Best Torrent Search Engine
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix uTorrent stuck on connecting to peers issue. If you still have any queries regarding this article, then feel free to ask them in the comments section.