Google Docs has emerged as a key element for many organizations. The online-based text editing service has essentially become the drawing board for many companies, allowing multiple users to simultaneously edit and save the document. To add another level of systemization to the already organized Google docs, the feature of page numbers was introduced. Here’s a guide that will help you figure out how to add page numbers to Google Docs.
How to Add Page Numbers to Google Docs
Why Add Page Numbers?
For people working on large and extensive documents, a page number symbol can save a lot of hassle and speed up the writing process. While you can always enter page numbers in a document manually, Google docs provide users with the feature of adding automatic page numbers, opening up a considerable amount of time.
Method 1: Adding Page Numbers to Google Docs Desktop Version
The desktop version of Google Docs is widely used among students and writers. Adding page numbers to Google Docs is a fairly simple process and gives users a wide range of customizability.
1. Head to the Google Docs website on your PC and select the document you want to add page numbers to.
2. On the taskbar at the top, click on Format.
3. A bunch of options will appear. Click on the options titled Page numbers.
4. A new window will appear containing customization options for the page numbers.
5. Here, you can select the position of the page number (header or footer) and choose the starting page number. You can also decide if you want the page number on the first page or not.
6. Once all the desired changes have been made, click on Apply, and the page numbers will automatically appear on the Google Document.
7. Once the page numbers have been placed, you can adjust their positions from the Headers and Footers menu.
8. On the taskbar, once again click on Format and select the Headers and Footers options.
9. By adjusting the header and footer dimensions in the new window that appears, you can change the position of the page number.
10. Once all the changes have been made, click on Apply, and the page numbers will be placed in the position of your choice.
Also Read: 4 Ways to Create Borders in Google Docs
Method 2: Adding Page Numbers to Google Docs Mobile Version
In recent years, the mobile versions of many applications have started to gain popularity, and Google Docs is no different. The mobile version of the app is equally useful and is optimized for a smartphone-friendly view for the users. Naturally, the features available on the desktop version have been converted to the mobile app as well. Here’s how you can add page numbers to Google Docs through the smartphone application.
1. Open the Google Docs application on your smartphone and select the document you wish to edit.
2. On the bottom right corner of the doc, you will find a pencil icon; tap on it to continue.
3. This will open the editing options for the document. On the top right corner of the screen, tap on the plus symbol.
4. In the Insert column, scroll down and tap on the Page number.
5. The doc will give you four options containing different methods of adding the page numbers. This includes the option of adding header and footer page numbers, along with the choice of skipping numbering on the first page.
6. Based on your preference, select any one option. Then on the top left corner of the screen, tap on the tick symbol.
7. The page number will be added to your Google Doc.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How do I put page numbers on an entire document?
Page numbers can be added to entire Google Documents using the Format menu in the taskbar. Click on ‘Format’ and then select ‘Page numbers.’ Based on your preference, you can customize the position and numbering of the pages.
Q2. How do I start page numbers on page 2 in Google docs?
Open the Google doc of your choice, and, following the steps mentioned above, open the ‘Page Numbers’ window. Within the section titled ‘Position’, uncheck the ‘Show on the first page’ option. The page numbers will start from page 2.
Q3. How do you put page numbers on the top right corner in Google Docs?
By default, the page numbers appear on the top right corner of all Google documents. If by chance yours are on the bottom right, open the ‘Page Numbers’ window and in the position column, select ‘Header’ instead of ‘Footer.’ The position of the page numbers will change accordingly.
- 4 Ways to Rotate an Image in Google Docs
- How to Enable or Disable Google Sync
- 4 Ways to Change Your Wallpaper on Android
We hope this article helped you figure out how to add page numbers to Google Docs. However, if you still have any questions regarding this tutorial then feel free to reach out to us through the comments section.